Don’t hesitate to reach out about story ideas, comments, and questions using the contact information below, or send a message using the form.
We are looking for writers to cover labor issues, especially issues specific to the Boston area, from a socialist perspective. If you are interested in sharing your experience organizing in your workplace, or covering any other aspect of the labor movement, reach out! We are particularly interested in actionable pieces that share ways folks can get involved in local labor struggles.
We believe that if you can write a succinct, cohesive and timely article, we’ll not only be able to move our readers into action more effectively, but you’ll become a better organizer yourself. To this end, we are seeking pieces that are no more than 1,500 words. Short, blog-style pieces are a great way to refine your argument.
If you haven’t written for a blog like this before, don’t worry! Our editors will work with you to develop your ideas, provide suggestions, and help you copy edit your article.
There are two ways to reach out to us: either with a finished article (no more than 1500 words) or with a pitch/proposal.
If you don’t have to have a full article figured out and ready to go, you can pitch us an idea first!
- Submit pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write “PITCH” and a short three- to five-word description in the email’s subject line. Please let us know if the subject is time sensitive!
- If you have a topic but prefer not to write the story yourself, we may be able to find someone else to write the article. Please let us know up front if this is the case.
- In the body of the email give us a brief outline (100-150 words) of your idea.
- Wait for our editors to respond – we are all volunteers, so please be patient 🙂 We’ll either accept the pitch, suggest modifications, or let you know it’s not a good fit at the moment.
If you have a finished piece of writing that’s right for Working Mass, send it in!
- Send your article (strict 1500 word maximum) in the body of an email to email@example.com.
- Include your name, phone number, and social media handles in the email, so we can call you to discuss the piece if needed (it’s usually easier in a phone call than over email).
- Before you cut and paste your article in the body of the email, double-check the word count; It can be found under the Tools tab in Google Docs.
- Include any photos or images (that you have permission to use!). Higher resolution is better.
- Please include some headline ideas, but keep in mind we might need to adjust them for space.
- Let us know if you’d like your social media handles linked to the published piece.
- Your article will be shared amongst the editorial team, and we will need to edit for clarity, length and accuracy. We want to maintain your voice and style as much as possible, and will do our best to communicate during the editing process.
- If your topic is time-sensitive, get in touch with us as soon as you can, again, we are all volunteers and want to make sure as many folks as possible can get involved with the action or issue you are highlighting.
We always need graphics, photographs and videos! If you’re artistically inclined, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you’d like to contribute.